To improve the health of our community through sustainable agriculture, fresh food, and education.
1. Demonstrating sustainable urban agriculture
RGCF operates a certified organic farm on public land using sustainable agricultural methods with the goal of growing food as well as demonstrating these methods for the farming community. RGCF blends the best of traditional agricultural practices with more progressive strategies to improve yield, conserve water, and improve soil fertility. RGCF collaborates with other farms and agencies and disseminates information as appropriate.
2. Growing food for and with our community
RGCF grows and distributes fresh, organic produce to diverse populations in Albuquerque including schools, food banks, non-profit organizations, grocery stores, restaurants, and other consumers. RGCF operates a community garden that welcomes volunteers and encourages its members to donate produce. RGCF supervises a cooperative pool of labor to assist other public and non-profit farms throughout the winter season.
3. Providing education and training opportunities in agriculture
RGCF provides year round education programs and special events that teach the community about sustainable agriculture, organic gardening, nutrition, and wildlife. RGCF trains young farmers and engages them in the process of farming public land for the public good.
4. Enhancing urban wildlife habitat
RGCF plants wildlife crops with the goal of maintaining and enhancing wildlife habitats. The community is encouraged to visit the Farm for the purposes of recreation and appreciation of the natural world.
5. Growing and celebrating the farming community
RGCF hosts events that celebrate our own work and participates in community events sponsored by other organizations that celebrate farming and farm education in our community.
Current operations of RGCF:
- Operates a greenhouse for starting crops and plants for sale
- Coordinates the annual Maize Maze which is open to the public
- Organizes a community garden with over 100 participating members and groups
- Grows field crops and flowers for sale
- Gives tours of the farm to school and community groups
- Plants several acres in grains and seed crops for migrating flocks of birds
- Maintains soil enriching and erosion preventing cover crops on field acreage
- Maintains a Heritage Seed program, growing and saving heritage crops
RGCF is an AmeriCorps Program Services site as of 9/1/2010